Our physicians use the latest information and technologies to evaluate and treat all allergic conditions in adults and children with all types of allergic conditions, including:
- Hay fever (allergic eye and nasal problems)
- Allergic skin disorders (rashes, hives, eczema, swelling and contact dermatitis)
- Food allergies
- Insect bite reactions
- Severe anaphylaxis
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Latex allergy
- Drug or medication allergy
- Anesthetic allergies
- Allergic reactions to contrast media used for CT scans or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Primary and secondary immune deficiencies
Diagnosis & Treatment
Our specialists tailor diagnostic and therapeutic procedures for each patient's individual needs. Treatments include:
- Skin testing for evaluation of environmental allergies
- Skin testing for food allergies
- Skin testing for medication allergies
- Patch testing for contact dermatitis evaluation
- Pulmonary function testing (spirometry) for asthma evaluation
- Allergy injections
- Treatment for hereditary angioedema
- Drug desensitization
- Oral food challenges
- Immunoglobulin infusions
In addition to initial diagnosis and continuous care of children and adults with allergic conditions, we provide second opinions, next-generation genetic testing and expert medical care for many allergic conditions.
Our specialists have expertise in all of these allergy categories:
- Food allergies — We evaluate patients with all types of food allergies including immediate (hives, swelling, anaphylaxis) and delayed reactions, such as food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES), formula intolerances and allergic gastrointestinal disorders such as eosinophilic esophagitis. We offer the latest diagnostic and treatment options for these conditions.
- Drug allergies — We provide comprehensive evaluation for patients with all types of drug reactions, including immediate and delayed reactions, serum sickness and fixed drug eruptions. In addition to taking a detailed history and conduction a physical examination, we provide skin testi and challenges for a variety of medications such as antibiotics (penicillins, cephalosporins), chemotherapeutic agents, radiocontrast media, local and systemic anesthetics and biologics.
- Environmental allergies — Patients with environmental allergies may suffer from hay fever (allergic rhinitis), asthma and sometimes eczema. We perform a comprehensive evaluation that involves a detailed history, a physical examination and allergy skin and blood tests to identify the allergens that may be triggering the patient’s symptoms. Treatment options include education, subcutaneous immunotherapy (allergy shots) and new generation treatments such as sublingual immunotherapy.
- Skin allergies
- Eczema is one of the most common chronic skin diseases. As many as 30% of children with eczema also have food allergies. Our physicians are experts in the diagnosis and management of eczema. Treatments may include topical and systemic treatments, including the latest medications. They also focus on identifying the triggers and educating parents and patients on appropriate skin care to control and prevent eczema exacerbations.
- Urticaria is another common skin disease that affects children and adults. It can be acute or chronic and has different causes and treatment options. Our experts personalize treatment based on a patient's history, a physical examination and a thorough evaluation of laboratory test results.
- Contact dermatitis arises when the skin comes into contact foreign substances called contact allergens. Common causes include nickel or gold in jewelry or watches, perfumes or chemicals in skin care products or detergents, and latex in gloves. Our specialists provide skin patch testing for 80 or more contact allergens found in the environment.
Our physicians also have expertise in treating insect bite reactions, recurrent anaphylaxis, mastocytosis in children and many other allergic conditions.
Our specialists see adult allergy sufferers on Wednesday mornings in Pavilion I at UCI Medical Center in Orange.
Children with allergies and immune deficiency disorders require special attention. UCI Health allergists and immunologists see pediatric allergy patients on Wednesday afternoons, also at Pavilion I. Learn more about our Pediatric Allergy Services ›
Our allergy and immunology specialists have extensive training and experience in the diagnosis and management of the full spectrum of allergies and immunodeficiency disorders.
Our team includes: