Interventional radiology is a subspecialty within radiology that uses the latest imaging equipment for diagnostic procedures as well as for guiding treatment.
This includes the imaging and treatment of blood vessels, including angiography, angioplasty and stent placement to treat peripheral artery disease.
Our interventional radiologists also perform biopsies, line, port and tube placement, radioembolization, chemoembolization, ablation to treat cancers, uterine fibroid embolization as well as fluid and abscess drainage.
These procedures are guided by imaging techniques that include X-rays, fluoroscopy, CT, MRI and ultrasound.
Our interventional radiologists diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Aortic aneurysm
- Benign and malignant tumors
- Biliary obstruction
- Critical limb ischemia
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Dialysis patients
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Lymphatic, arteriovenous malformation
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Uterine fibroids
- Variceal bleeding
- Varicose veins
- Venous thrombosis
UCI Health interventional radiologists perform a variety of image-guided treatments and services, including:
- Intra-abdominal biopsy (liver, kidney, spleen, adrenal glands, abdominal wall)
- Intra-thoracic biopsy (lung, mediastinum)
- Lymph node or other superficial biopsy
- Transjugular liver biopsy
Catheter placement and checks
- Abscess drains
- Central venous catheters, tunneled and non-tunneled
- Cholangiograms (biliary tree contrast studies)
- Percutaneous grastrostomy
- Percutaneous nephrostomy tube, nephroureteral stent, ureteral stents placement, checks, exchanges
- Percutaneous transhepatic biliary drains and stents
- Peripherally inserted central catheters (PICC lines)
- Vascular ports
Ablative and embolization interventional services
- Arteriovenous malformation embolization, therapy
- Balloon retrograde transvenous obliteration of varices
- Chemoembolization for tumors
- Coils embolization
- Cryoablation of tumors
- Fistola declot
- Gastrointestinal variceal embolization
- Inferior vena cava (IVC) filter placement
- Inferior vena cava (IVC) filter removal
- Malformation (venous/lymphatic) treatment
- Microwave ablation of tumors
- Pulmonary thrombolysis
- Radiofrequency tumor ablation
- Superior vena cava, inferior vena cava, angioplasty and stents
- Thrombolysis for arterial and venous disease
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Venous sclerotherapy
- Venous laser therapy
Our UCI Health interventional radiologists are leaders in the use of the most advanced and minimally invasive diagnostic and treatment techniques.
The expertise and quality of care that our team provides is unmatched in Orange County and elsewhere in the Southern California region for several reasons:
- Our interventional radiologists practice their specialty 100 percent of the time at our state-of-the-art UC Irvine Medical Center, which has consistently been ranked among the nation's best hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for more than a decade.
- Working at an academic medical center means that we routinely diagnose and treat critically ill patients with complex conditions, giving our board-certified, fellowship-trained physicians the breadth of experience to know what our patients need.
- Our team of interventional radiologists team includes regionally, nationally and internationally known faculty, including a past president of the Society of Interventional Radiology.
Our UCI Health interventional radiologists are pioneers in the use of image-guided techniques to deliver life-saving treatment through the tiniest of incisions.
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained interventional radiologists include: