As a patient, you need to know about your responsibilities because you are an important member of your healthcare team.
It is the patient’s responsibility to:
- Follow UCI Health rules and regulations affecting patient care and conduct.
- Be considerate of UCI Health facilities and equipment. Do not abuse them.
- Respect the rights and property of other patients and personnel. Limit your visitors, follow smoking regulations and use the telephone, television and lights courteously so that you do not disturb others.
- Give accurate and complete information about your health to the physicians and other healthcare professionals caring for you.
- Be informed and ask questions. Your healthcare provider may not know when you’re confused or uncertain or want more information.
- Follow the treatment plan recommended by the healthcare provider responsible for your care. It is your responsibility to tell your healthcare provider whether or not you can and want to follow the treatment plan recommended for you.
- Understand how to continue your care after you leave the medical center, including when and where to get further treatment and what you need to do at home to help you with your treatment.
- Accept the consequences of your decisions and actions if you refuse treatment or choose not to comply with the instructions given by your healthcare provider.
- Keep appointments and cooperate with your healthcare provider. If you need to cancel an appointment, you should do so at least 24 hours before your appointment time.
- Pay bills on time to ensure that your financial obligations for your healthcare are fulfilled. You are responsible for working with your account representative to make payment arrangements and providing the information necessary to determine how your medical center bill will be paid.
If you have questions or concerns, call us at 877-UCI-DOCS (877-824-3627).