- You must be at least 18 years old and be available to volunteer for one three-hour shift each week between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday for the first 35 hours.
- You must be able to commit to a minimum of 100 service hours.
- You must also pass a general health clearance and pass a criminal background check.
- You must have a social security number. International students are not eligible to apply unless they have a social security number.
Our college volunteers work in several areas:
- Greeters and customer service
- Administrative support
- Emergency room
- Nursing units
- Cancer center
- Child life
- Medical center ambassadors
We do not have pharmacy volunteer positions.
Volunteers must complete a minimum of 35 hours in the dispatch area of the volunteer office. This will help you become knowledgeable about the hospital and medical center. After completing this requirement, you may apply for a position in other areas open to college students. Transfers to patient care areas (emergency and nursing units) are based upon performance and attendance.
You must have a medical clearance form completed by your personal physician that includes:
- Immunity to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
- Completion of a two-step tuberculosis skin test
- Documentation of Tdap vaccine
- Documentation of hepatitis B vaccine series
- Documentation of flu vaccination during flu season
The most important requirement to be a volunteer is a friendly, customer-focused attitude. You do not need medical or clinical experience. A willingness to serve, give back to your community and be helpful and caring are the traits of a successful volunteer. Excellent communication skills are required.