Thank you for choosing UCI Health for your healthcare needs; it is our privilege to care for you. We want to share an important update about the health insurance company, Cigna. If you are a Cigna HMO member, you may have received a notice from Cigna informing you of the upcoming termination of their contract with UCI Health and UCI University Physicians & Surgeons.
Regrettably, after months of negotiations, we have not been able to secure a fair contract with Cigna that would enable Cigna members to continue having in-network access to our world-class academic healthcare. We continue to negotiate with Cigna, however, if an agreement is not reached by Friday, June 30, 2023, the contract will end and Cigna may consider your care with UCI Health out-of-network.
In preparation for this potential termination, Cigna may notify you that they are assigning you to a new primary care physician (PCP). Please note the following important information:
- You may continue to receive care from your current UCI Health PCP until the contract ends on June 30, 2023.
- If Cigna and UCI Health reach an agreement before June 30, 2023, you will be notified by Cigna. In order to remain with your current UCI Health PCP, you may need to request from Cigna to be reassigned to your current UCI Health PCP.
- If Cigna and UCI Health do not reach an agreement by June 30, 2023, Cigna’s assignment of a new PCP to you will take effect and your access to elective inpatient and outpatient services at UCI Health will be limited.
- Even if the termination takes effect, you will still be able to come to UCI Medical Center for emergency medical treatment.
- California law provides protections for insurance members so they can continue to access their existing clinicians and services for a specific period when terminations like this occur. See below for more information on “Continuity of Care” services.
You may have the right to continue treatment with your UCI Health provider after July 1, 2023, for a designated period of time by requesting Continuity of Care services. Cigna will determine if you qualify for Continuity of Care. Please contact Cigna Member Services at the phone number listed on your insurance ID card for more information. If you have any difficulty obtaining approval from Cigna for Continuity of Care or have any other questions or issues, you are encouraged to contact the California Department of Managed HealthCare (DMHC), which protects the rights of HMO/PPO consumers, by calling the DMHC’s Help Center at 1-888-HMO-2219 or at their TDD number for those who are hearing impaired, 1-877-688-9891, or by visiting their website at www.hmohelp.ca.gov.
In addition, if you would like to remain in-network with UCI Health providers, you may have an opportunity during your employer-based or Covered California open enrollment periods (dates vary) to select a health plan and product with whom UCI Health is contracted. UCI Health accepts a wide range of health insurance options.
If you have additional questions, you may contact the UCI Health Physician Offices Line at 888-456-7002, option 7, or Health Services Contracting at Contracting@hs.uci.edu.