Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Program
At UCI Health, we specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders, including Huntington's disease and dystonia.
We emphasize innovative, state-of-the-art clinical care, delivered in a personalized, caring environment. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained experts work in collaboration with patients to develop a treatment program that is best suited for each person.
To achieve optimal outcomes, our physicians draw upon all treatment methods, including exercise and rehabilitative therapies for walking, balance, speech and swallowing. When appropriate, some patients may also consider advanced therapies such as dopamine promoting medication Duopa and Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS).
Patients also benefit from our leading-edge clinical research and access to the latest technologies. We conduct a broad range of clinical studies to better understand these diseases, achieve earlier diagnosis and improve treatment for our patients.
We also provide community outreach programs, including an annual symposium designed to give patients and caregivers access to the latest information on Parkinson's disease treatment and research findings.
View our symposia presentations ›
For more information or to schedule a consultation, please call 714-456-7720.
We treat Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease and other movement disorders by collaborating with patients and families to best meet the needs of the individual. Treatments and services may include:
- Medications aimed at improving symptoms
- Rehabilitative therapies (physical therapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy)
- Botulinum toxin (Botox) injections
- Advanced therapies including Duopa, adopamine promoter, and Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
Our team also belongs to several national and international research consortiums on movement disorders, including: the Parkinson’s Study Group, the Huntington Study Group and the Dystonia Study Group.
The Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders team diagnoses and treats the following conditions:
- Cervical dystonia (torticollis)
- Essential tremor and other forms of tremor
- Hemifacial spasm
- Huntington’s disease
- Limb spasticity (from stroke, multiple sclerosis or trauma)
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus
- Parkinson’s disease
- Other Parkinsonian syndromes (including progressive supranuclear palsy, multiple system atrophy and corticobasal degeneration)
- Restless leg syndrome
- Spasmodic dysphonia
- Tic and Tourette syndrome
- Task-specific dystonias (writer’s cramp, musician's dystonia, dystonia in sports)
The UCI Health Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders Program is conducting a broad range of clinical studies to help understand these diseases, to perform early diagnosis and to improve treatment for our patients.
We are actively recruiting patients for a number of clinical trials, including:
- Study group of Isradipine as a disease modifying agent in subjects who have not started dopaminergic therapy. Learn more ›
- Prospective Registry Study in Global Huntington’s disease cohort (Enroll HD). Learn more ›
- A phase IIa, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the safety and efficacy of fenofibrate. Learn more ›
To inquire about our active research studies, please email Everlyne Gomez, or call 949-824-3485.
Our UCI Health Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders team includes:
To make an appointment with our movement disorders specialists, please call 714-456-7720.