Kidney Stones & Kidney Disease Services
If you’ve ever had a kidney stone, you know how painful it can be. Most kidney stones pass through the body unaided. Sometimes a stone lodges in the kidney or ureter and may grow larger.
The specialists at the UCI Health Center for Urological Care can help. Our experienced board-certified urologists are skilled in treating all conditions and diseases of the kidney, including kidney stones.
They use advanced techniques, many of which they have pioneered, to remove or disintegrate the stone as quickly and painlessly as possible.
If you have any of these symptoms, it may be a sign of a kidney stone in need of immediate attention.
- Fever and chills
- Urine that is cloudy or pyuric
- Blood in the urine
- A burning sensation while urinating
- Extreme back or side pain that doesn’t go away
For more information or to make an appointment, please call us at 714-456-7005.
At the UCI Health Center for Urological Care, our world-renowned kidney specialists are skilled at diagnosing and treating the following kidney diseases and conditions:
- Kidney and ureter stones
- Simple kidney cysts
- Benign and malignant tumors of the kidney and urinary tract
- Polycystic kidney disease
Our urologists are skilled at performing the following treatments:
- Percutaneous kidney stone surgery
- Ureteroscopy for kidney stones and obstruction
- Laser lithotripsy for kidney stones
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for kidney stones
- Endoscopic and laparoscopic treatment of ureteral and uretero-pelvic junction obstruction
- Laparoscopic surgery for kidney cysts
- Laparoscopic removal of nonfunctioning kidneys
The kidney specialists at the UCI Health Center for Urological Care are international leaders in the the most advanced techniques and therapies to treat renal conditions and diseases.
Some of our distinctions include:
- Our UCI Health urologists are international leaders in noninvasive and minimally invasive techniques to treat kidney stones. In fact, we haven’t performed a traditional open kidney stone surgery for nearly two decades.
- Our kidney specialists have perfected the use of focused shock waves to break up many kidney and ureter stones without surgery. They also developed special tools to reach ureter and kidney stones through the bladder, which allows the treatment of smaller stones throughout the urinary tract without incision.
- When a minimally invasive approach is deemed necessary, UC Irvine urologists are pioneers at removing kidney and ureter stones with the smallest of incisions (a half-inch) and special laser and ultrasonic scopes. Patients experience less blood loss, a minimum of pain and a very short recovery time.
- UCI Health urologists also are experts in using a laparoscopic approach to treat painful kidney cysts. We also treat the full range of renal diseases, including benign and malignant tumors of the kidney
Our UCI Health kidney specialists are nationally regarded pioneers in the laparoscopic and through-the-skin treatment of conditions and diseases affecting the kidney.
Our kidney experts are: