UCI Health and the Angels team up to save lives
June 02, 2014
UCI Health and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are joining forces for a series of blood drives this summer, starting June 19 at Angel Stadium of Anaheim.
As the only Level 1 Trauma Center in Orange County, UC Irvine Medical Center needs nearly 1,000 units of blood each month – equivalent to the total blood volume of 100 adults. There is no substitute for human blood.
During the summer months, the need is even greater. Blood donations typically drop during this time, often resulting in shortages of blood.
Your donation will help us maintain our supply and save lives in our community.
Because we appreciate every donation, all donors will receive two Angels ticket vouchers. The vouchers can be exchanged at the stadium box office for two free tickets to selected Angels games.
Who can donate?
To donate blood, you must:
- Be age 17 or older and weigh more than 110 pounds
- Have a valid photo ID (driver’s license, passport, employee or student ID are acceptable)
- Be in good health
- Eat a healthy meal and drink plenty of fluids before donating
- Finish all antibiotics 72 hours before your donation and be symptom-free of any infection or illness
- Have had no tattoos in the past 12 months
- Have had no piercings within the last 12 months. Ear piercings done with a gun are okay.
- Not have traveled to an area where malaria is endemic in the past 12 months
You will also be asked to provide basic information and answer questions related to your medical history and lifestyle.
A qualified staff member will review your history with you. Your finger will also be pricked in order to test a drop of blood to ensure that your hemoglobin is high enough for you to donate safely.
View frequently asked questions about the donation process ›
Make an appointment
If you meet the basic blood donation eligibility requirements, make an appointment today ›
In addition to the blood drive dates at Angel stadium, you can donate at the UC Irvine Medical Center Blood Donor Center in Orange or the UC Irvine Campus Blood Donor Center, located in the student center on the university campus in Irvine.
Angels vouchers will be given out to donors at both donor centers throughout the summer while supplies last.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 714-456-5064 or 949-824-2662.