UCI Health offers the Diabetes Prevention Program, a proven health behavior change program to help you prevent type 2 diabetes. The one-year, lifestyle-change program entails working with a specially trained coach who will help keep you motivated and achieve your goals.
About the program
In the first six months, you will meet once a week for one-hour group sessions to learn how to:
- Eat healthy without giving up all the foods you love
- Add physical activity to your busy schedule
- Deal with stress
- Cope with challenges that can derail your hard work — like how to choose healthy food when eating out
- Get back on track if you stray from the plan
- Receive support from people with similar goals and challenges
In the next six months, you'll meet once a month to build on the skills you've learned and maintain those positive changes. We will review key concepts such as setting goals, tracking food and physical activity, staying motivated and overcoming barriers.
UCI Health Cardiovascular Center
101 The City Drive South, Pavilion 4
Orange, CA 92868
To participate, you must meet all the following requirements:
- Within 12 months of your first session, you have a hemoglobin A1c test result between 5.7 and 6.4%, a fasting plasma glucose of 110-125 mg/dL or a two-hour plasma glucose of 140-199 mg/dL (oral glucose tolerant test)
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or more (BMI of 23 or more if you're Asian)
- No history of type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Never been diagnosed with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Never participated in the Diabetes Prevention Program at UCI Health
This program is covered by most insurances.
If you are Medicare-insured, you must have Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) or a Medicare Advantage Plan.
To learn more, register or check your eligibility, please call 714-456-7514.