Allergic rhinitis affects as many as 40% of U.S. children, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Food, pollen, bug bites, animal fur, cigarette smoke, mold or perfume all have the potential to trigger allergies in a child.
- Has your child complained about an itchy or tingling feeling in the mouth after eating certain fruits, vegetables or nuts? It may indicate a food allergy, but it also could be a seasonal allergy such as hay fever.
- Does your child have constant or frequent skin itching and rash? It could be eczema, and avoiding irritants is one of the most important steps in managing it.
- Did you know that about 30% of children with eczema also have food allergies?
Our expert physicians diagnose and treat the full range of common, rare and novel allergies and immune problems, including:
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever)
- Bee sting
- Chronic sinusitis
- Contact dermatitis
- Drug allergies
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis)
- Eye allergies
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Food allergies (including gastrointestinal)
- Hives (urticaria) and angioedema
- Immune system deficiencies
- Insect bites
- Primary and secondary immunodeficiencies
- Recurrent infections
We also provide immunologic evaluation of children with chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down syndrome and Miller-Dieker syndrome, who also have recurrent infections.
To schedule a consultation, please call us at 714-456-7720.
How children experience symptoms and allergic reactions varies greatly. We offer state-of-the-art diagnostic testing to determine what allergies your child may have.
- Breathing tests to evaluate pulmonary function for asthma
- Extensive immunologic and genetic evaluation for recurrent or unusual infections, multiple autoimmune conditions or immune dysregulation
- Patch testing for skin allergies
- Skin testing for food and environmental allergens
- Skin testing for penicillin and other medications
- Skin testing for stinging insect allergies
We offer innovative treatments to keep your child’s symptoms under control, including:
- Allergy immunotherapy (allergy shots)
- Biologic treatment for severe asthma
- Drug desensitization
- Immunoglobulin infusions for a variety of immunodeficiencies
- Infusions for hereditary angioedema
Please call us at 714-456-7720 to schedule a consultation.
Our UCI Health pediatric allergy specialists include: