Pancreas Transplant Services
UCI Health offers Orange County’s only pancreas transplant program and the only simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplant program.
These procedures have the potential to free people from daily insulin injections. In addition, a successful pancreas transplant may stabilize diabetic complications affecting the eyes and nerves, significantly improving a patient's quality of life and life expectancy.
Our surgeons use the latest techniques and they are actively involved in clinical trials for islet cell transplantation.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call us at 714-456-8441.
To refer a patient, please download our patient referral form ›
Who is eligible?
Candidates for pancreas transplantation include patients with type 1 diabetes, also known as juvenile onset diabetes, and some select patients with type 2 diabetes, known as adult onset diabetes. Candidates may also:
- Have early or no kidney disease but would benefit from a pancreas transplant to improve blood-sugar control and prevent complications
- Have received a kidney in the past and would benefit from a pancreas transplant to improve blood-sugar control and prevent complications
- Have secondary complications despite medical management
- Have experienced frequent hypoglycemic events despite medical management
Benefits of simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplant
By undergoing simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplantation, patients with diabetes and end-stage renal disease:
- No longer require insulin injections
- No longer experience episodes of low blood sugar or loss of consciousness due to low blood-sugar levels
- Experience a dramatic improvement in quality of life and improved life expectancy
Our multidisciplinary transplant team is led by highly skilled surgeons and nephrologists who specialize in treating diseases of the kidney and pancreas.
Our team also includes:
- Nurse coordinators
- Social workers
- Financial coordinators
- Data analysts
- Administrative assistants
All are dedicated and experienced professionals who provide personalized and compassionate care to our transplant patients.
In addition, because we work at Orange County's only academic medical center, we have access to a wide range of specialists who can help optimize your care and ensure a successful transplant. This also means that we are able to apply the latest research and technologies to your care.