Breast Cancer Services
Whether you have a family history of breast cancer, a suspicious lump or pain, or need regular screening, our breast cancer specialists at the UCI Health Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center can ease your worries with state-of-the-art care.
Our experienced team at Orange County's only National Institute of Cancer-designated comprehensive cancer center creates an individual treatment plan for each patient who walks through our doors. We serve our patients at three locations:
We offer 3D mammography, which can detect breast cancer earlier and with greater accuracy, at all three locations. Mammography screening also is available at Gottschalk Medical Plaza in Irvine.
We also work with patients at higher-than-normal risk for breast cancer, thoroughly evaluating their risk factors and developing personalized prevention strategies based on family history, clinical background and lifestyle.
To schedule a consultation, call us at 714-456-8000 in Orange, 949-515-3544 in Costa Mesa or 714-790-8600 in Yorba Linda. You may also fill out an online appointment request form ›
To schedule a mammogram, please call:
- Costa Mesa — 949-515-3544
- Irvine — 949-824-8626
- Orange — 714-456-7237
- Yorba Linda — 714-790-8600
Our board-certified breast health experts diagnose and treat all conditions related to the breasts, including:
- Breast cancer
- Breast pain
- Nipple discharge
- Breast masses
- Patients at high risk for breast cancer
- Patients who carry breast cancer mutations
Our surgeons use an intraoperative sensor called MarginProbe®, enabling the surgeon to precisely determine the margins between cancerous and normal tissue and remove all of the tumor with a high degree of accuracy during a lumpectomy. This spares patients the need to return for removal of more breast tissue.
Early-stage breast cancer patients undergoing a lumpectomy may also be candidates for intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT), receiving a single dose of radiation treatment at the tumor site during surgery. Treatment with the Zeiss Intrabeam® intraoperative radiotherapy system may eliminate the need for several weeks of traditional radiation therapy.
These devices hold enormous promise for improved patient care by dramatically reducing the need for repeat surgeries and traditional radiation therapy, which can involve treatments five days a week for up to six weeks.
Learn more about our innovative breast cancer treatments ›
Our UCI Health breast cancer specialists are dedicated to giving you state-of-the-art care. Our team includes leading surgeons, radiologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and reconstructive surgery specialists, as well as highly trained nurses and other healthcare professionals.
Working at the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of only 50 NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the United States, our breast cancer team members integrate the latest research to improve every patient’s health. We are the region's most experienced team with the most advanced therapies and technologies.
We are the first in the nation to use MarginProbe®, a device that helps surgeons ensure that no cancer cells are missed during a lumpectomy. We are also the first in California to pair the surgical device with intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT), a safe and effective alternative to traditional radiation therapy.
- A program accredited by the American College of Surgeons
- Team members, including plastic surgeons trained in microvascular surgery, who strive to provide the most advanced care with the least invasive treatment
- Advanced mammography, ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) devices for breast cancer detection at our centers in Orange, Costa Mesa and Yorba Linda.
- Comfortable examination rooms
- Laboratory results within one day
- Breast health and breast cancer prevention programs
Our affiliation with the region's leading cancer research center and Orange County’s only university medical center means that our patients have access to innovative treatments and clinical trials before they are available elsewhere in the community. Our research achievements include:
- Devising chemotherapy that dramatically reduced or eliminated tumors before surgery
- Extending the lives of postmenopausal women that have the most common type of metastatic breast cancer with a combination of the two anti-estrogen drugs
Our physicians pursue research in many areas of breast cancer diagnostics and treatment, including:
- Participation in the Athena Project, a consortium of University of California medical centers that seeks to improve and personalize breast cancer care from diagnosis through treatment and survivorship.
- Involvement in the MarginProbe® clinical trial. Our experts use the intraoperative probe, which is designed to evaluate lumpectomy margins in real time in the operating room.s spares our patients a second procedure to remove more breast tissue, which typically occurs in more than 30 percent of cases.
- Our surgeons also participated in the TARGIT-A clinical trials, delivering precisely targeted radiation to the tumor site during lumpectomies. The procedure, called intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT), may spare a patient from undergoing traditional radiation treatment and its side effects.
View our breast cancer clinical trials ›
The UCI Health breast cancer specialists are a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists, reconstructive surgeons, researchers, nurses, social workers and other skilled health professionals — all of whom are dedicated to provide you with the best possible care.
Our team members include: