Pediatric Allergy Services
When your child’s sniffles and sneezes last longer than two weeks, allergies may be the culprit. Allergic rhinitis affects as many as 40% of children in the United States, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Food, pollen, bug bites, animal fur, cigarette smoke or perfume all have the potential to trigger allergies in a child.
Allergies are the immune system’s abnormal reaction to allergens. To most people, allergens are harmless substances. In adults and children who have allergies, however, they can cause reactions ranging from mild to severe. Sneezing, coughing, a runny nose or itchy eyes, common skin rashes or hives, stomach upset or difficulty breathing (asthma) can all indicate an allergic reaction.
Allergies are the immune system’s abnormal reaction to allergens — like mold — causing the body to treat them as an invader and fight them off. They can develop at any age and can trigger:
- Common skin rashes or hives (atopic dermatitis or eczema)
- Difficulty breathing (asthma)
- Sneezing, coughing, a runny nose or itchy eyes
- Stomach upset
Our UCI Health pediatric allergy specialists provide complex care to children who suffer from a wide range of allergies. Every child is different, so we create personalized treatment plans using the most advanced, leading-edge options available.
We see patients at Gottschalk Medical Plaza in Irvine and at UCI Medical Center in Orange. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please call us at 714-456-7720.
We offer complex care to children who suffer from a wide range of allergies, creating a personalized treatment plan with the most advanced and leading-edge options available.
We treat children ages one month and older for the following conditions:
- Food allergies
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever)
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Urticaria and angioedema
- Contact dermatitis
- Drug allergies
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Venom hypersensitivity
We offer state-of-art diagnostics for a variety of conditions, including:
- Environmental allergies
- Food challenges
- Drug challenges
- Drug sensitivity
We also offer a wide range of treatments, including:
- Allergy immunotherapy (allergy shots)
- Biologic treatment for severe asthma or/and eczema (including omalizumab, mepolizumab, dupilumab, benralizumab)
- Infusions for hereditary angioedema
It can be difficult to determine the source of many allergies, requiring extensive testing.
We offer the following tests:
- Skin testing for foods and environmental allergens
- Skin testing for medication allergies (including penicillin)
- Skin testing for stinging insect allergies
- Patch testing for skin allergies
- Pulmonary function testing for asthma evaluation
Our UCI Health pediatric allergy specialists include: