Kidney Stones & Kidney Disease Services
Most kidney stones pass through the body unaided. But for about 10% of the U.S. population, a large stone may lodge in a kidney or ureter, causing potentially excruciating pain.
The specialists at the UCI Health Kidney Stone Center can help. Our urologists are pioneers in the most advanced, non-invasive treatments to break up kidney stones. They also deliver personalized care to help patients prevent a recurrence, which happens in about half of all cases.
Our experts use a variety of non-invasive, targeted techniques to leave our patients stone free.
Our UCI Health urologic surgeons are regarded as some of the top experts in their field.
Because recurrence is high, we also conduct metabolic evaluations to help patients alter diet and lifestyle in order to prevent new kidney stones from developing. Our patients benefit from our highly experienced support team, which includes nephrologists, radiologists, nurses, scientists and pharmacists.
For more information or to make an appointment with our kidney stone specialists, call 714-456-7005.
The kidney specialists at the UCI Health Center for Urological Care are international leaders in the most advanced techniques and therapies to diagnose, treat and prevent kidney stones.
We also treat kidney cysts, polycystic kidney disease and benign and malignant tumors of the kidney and urinary tract.
- UCI Health urologists have pioneered noninvasive and minimally invasive techniques to treat kidney stones. In fact, we haven’t performed a traditional open kidney stone surgery for more than two decades.
- We have perfected the use of focused shockwaves to break up many kidney and ureter stones without surgery. Through an approach called Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL), patients can experience non-invasive, pain-free results with minimal X-ray exposure.
- ESWL and other procedures, such as laser lithotripsy and percutaneous nephrolithotomy, are performed in a specially equipped operating suite with a procedure table optimized for urological treatments, real-time fluoroscopy tracking and high-resolution monitors.
- Our urologists also developed new tools to reach stones in the ureter and kidney through the bladder, which allows incisionless treatment of smaller stones throughout the urinary tract.
- If minimally invasive treatment is necessary, our urologists are experts at removing kidney and ureter stones through the smallest of incisions (a half-inch) using special laser and ultrasonic scopes. Patients experience less blood loss, a minimum of pain and a very short recovery time.
- Our kidney specialists are also experts in using a robot-assisted approach to treat painful kidney cysts.
- We also treat the full range of renal conditions, including benign and malignant tumors of the kidney.
A kidney stone is a hard deposit formed from substances in the urine. The following symptoms may be a sign of a kidney stone that requires immediate attention:
- Severe back or side pain that comes and goes
- Urine that looks cloudy or includes blood
- Fever and chills
- A burning sensation while urinating
In addition to kidney and ureter stones, our internationally renowned kidney specialists also treat:
- Benign and malignant tumors of the kidney and urinary tract
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Simple kidney cysts
- Ureteral strictures
- Ureteropelvic junction obstruction
Our team is highly skilled at performing the following procedures and treatments:
- Endoscopic and robot-assisted treatment of ureteral and ureteropelvic junction obstruction
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for kidney stones
- Laser lithotripsy for kidney stones
- Percutaneous renal mass biopsy
- Percutaneous kidney stone surgery
- Robot-assisted surgery for kidney cysts
- Robot-assisted removal of nonfunctioning kidneys
- Ureteroscopy for kidney stones and obstruction
Learn more about the advanced kidney stone treatments ›
Learn how to prevent kidney stones ›
UCI Health kidney stone and kidney disease specialists are nationally regarded pioneers in laparoscopic and through-the-skin treatment of stones, cysts and other conditions affecting the kidneys.
Our kidney stone experts include: