Visitor Guidelines and Hours
UCI Health makes a daily commitment to providing unparalleled care while maintaining the safety of our patients, their families and our healthcare professionals and staff.
Effective Sept. 17, 2022, UCI Medical Center will no longer require visitors to present proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test.
The following visiting guidelines apply to anyone visiting the inpatient care areas at UCI Medical Center and the Emergency Department.
- Visitors must always wear a mask and complete a temperature and symptom screening upon entering a designated patient care area.
- Two visitors are allowed to visit each day and must abide by the visitor guidelines while in the patient's room during the entire visit.
- Visitor overnight stay: If one of the two visitors of the day chooses to stay or is asked by the patient's clinical team to support the patient by staying overnight, the visitor is expected to check in at the front desk upon arrival and request an overnight badge. If the visitor arrives outside of visiting hours, the front desk will call the unit to confirm the visit is allowed. If a visitor needs to stay a second night, the visitor must return to the front desk the following morning for a new overnight badge. Patients in double-occupancy rooms require unit clinical leadership approval.
- Visitors seeking visits outside of visitation hours still require an exception request approved by a member of the patient's care team.
- End-of-life (EOL)/COVID EOL patients may have two visitors at the bedside and will follow our EOL guidelines (please see below). We strive to ensure that at least one person is with the patient during the entire period (24 hours) so that no patient is alone at the end of their life.
- Visitors staying overnight who have come through the Emergency Department (ED) will be referred to the front desk by the bedside nurse upon patient admission to the unit.
- Labor-and-delivery patients are allowed two visitors per patient once they have been admitted. One partner can stay with the patient 24/7 (partner can not rotate).
- OB triage patients are allowed one visitor when appropriate. Visitors may be directed to the OB waiting room when required to respect patient dignity and privacy.
- Pre-op area allows two visitors at the bedside.
Front desk hours of operation
- Check-in through Guest Services: every day from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Check-in after hours through Security: every day from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
NICU Visitation Guidelines
- Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) patients may have one birth parent (or officially appointed surrogate) plus a support person (two visitors total that will remain the same for the duration of the stay).
- Visitor(s) must remain in the patient's room for the duration of the visit.
- UCI Health NICU leadership and clinical team have the right to evaluate visitation on a case-by-case basis to support the appropriate level of care needed and allow for visitation exceptions.
Pediatric Visitation Guidelines
- Pediatric intensive care patients may have two adult visitors, preferably a parent. They must remain in the patient's room for the duration of the visit.
- Children undergoing surgery may have two adult visitors, preferably a parent, wait in the surgery waiting room.
Emergency Department (ED)
ED patients are allowed one visitor. The visitor is permitted to wait with the patient in waiting rooms. Once the patient has been admitted to the hospital, the visitor must comply with the inpatient COVID-19 visitation guidelines.
Visitation is not allowed for patients suspected of having COVID-19 or who have been confirmed COVID-19 positive.
Visitation hours will remain the same as before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Monday-Friday, 6-8 p.m.
- Saturdays, Sundays and holidays: 1-3 p.m. and 6-8 p.m.
- Monday-Friday, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Saturdays, Sundays and holidays: 1-2:30 p.m. and 6-7:30 p.m.
The current conditions require limiting the number of visitors to one person per patient in the inpatient unit.
- Total of two visitors in a 24-hour period; they may rotate visits
- Example: Two visitors/one visit for the first hour and second visitor visits for remaining time
UCI Health Outpatient Clinics
The limited visitor policy described above is also applicable at all UCI Health clinics, including Chao Family Comprehensive Digestive Disease Center, Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCI Medical Center outpatient pavilions, UCI Health Neuropsychiatric Center, Adult Rehabilitation Center, the Gavin Herbert Eye Institute and at all other community locations.
The following exceptions may apply:
- One visitor will be permitted to accompany a patient, as appropriate
- Two visitors (parents/foster parents/guardians) for minors age 14 and under are permitted at clinics
- Other conditions or emergent situations may qualify as an exception as determined by the patient's care team
If you need additional information, please call our Office of Patient Experience and Guest Services at 714-456-7606.