Participants are able to shadow several departments:
- Colorectal Surgery
- Emergency Medicine
- Neurocritical Care
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma Surgery
- Urologic Surgery
Irvine Clinical Experience is a three-quarter, 100-hour commitment.
Students are expected to commit to a minimum of three four-hour long shifts per month, all of which must be completed on weekdays during regular business hours.
Time and place of shadowing shifts depends on physicians’ schedules. Students are also expected to submit written monthly shadowing summaries to their coordinators, requiring 200 words per shadowing shift.
- Students must be at least 18 years of age
- Students must be currently enrolled at UCI as a full-time undergraduate student (minimum of 12 units)
- Students must have completed at least two quarters
- Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Completion of HIPAA paperwork
- Health clearance (TB and immunizations)
- Two-hour orientation
- I.C.E. button-up shirt ($25 purchase required)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Deep respect and understanding of the privilege of shadowing
No, you do not need to be a current volunteer at the UC Irvine Medical Center.