Get a second opinion for your cancer care
Learning that you may have cancer can be an overwhelming and stressful experience, making it hard to decide your next steps. Pausing to get a second opinion allows you to review your treatment options so that you can move forward with confidence to get the best care for you.
Our cancer specialists at the UCI Health Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center — the only Orange County-based National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and the only one ranked among the nation's top 50 by U.S. News & World Report — are available to provide a timely review of your initial diagnosis and explain all your treatment options.
Cancer is many different diseases and we have experts who treat each one. Patients and referring physicians frequently turn to our cancer center for second opinions. Our nationally and internationally recognized cancer specialists work seamlessly as a team to deliver second opinions and treatment recommendations as quickly as possible.
To schedule a second opinion review or learn more, call 714-456-8000 or submit an online request › (Please indicate that a second opinion is the reason for your request.)
We reply promptly to all second opinion requests. If we are not immediately available, one of our team members will respond by the next business day. You can expect an appointment in as little as two business days.
Why get a second opinion?
It's vital to understand and feel good about your treatment choices. A second opinion can give you peace of mind about your decisions.
When doctors plan cancer treatments, they consider:
- The type and stage of the disease
- How likely the cancer can be cured
- How the treatment will affect your daily life
- Your overall health
- Your personal preferences
A doctor offering a second opinion reviews these factors with a fresh set of eyes. A second opinion also helps you to:
- Confirm your diagnosis
- See a specialist who treats the kind of cancer you have
- Discuss the full range of treatment options
- Find a doctor or treatment center you like
- Feel confident that the plan you're considering is best for you
What we provide
There are more than 100 types of cancer. Whether you have a tumor or a blood-based malignancy, it is important to know exactly which type it is so that you can consider the right treatment options.
When you come to the UCI Health Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center for a second opinion, we will:
- Confirm or rule out a diagnosis. We will analyze your test results and scans to confirm a diagnosis or provide additional information. To help determine the precise size and location of a tumor, we also may recommend additional tests and exams, including our advanced imaging technologies, which are some of the world’s best.
- Explain your treatment options. There are many ways to treat cancer, including medication (oncology), surgery and radiation. We consider your medical needs and personal preferences when evaluating which treatments may be most appropriate for you.
- Offer information about clinical trials. We have nearly 300 cancer clinical trials underway at UCI Health. New treatments we are testing through clinical trials may be of benefit to you.
What to expect
Whether you want a second opinion after receiving an initial diagnosis or during treatment, we are here to help. Here’s what you need to know:
- Your physician will not object to your seeking a second opinion.
Most physicians welcome each other’s input on complex cases because they have a shared interest in helping patients get the care they need.
- A second opinion is usually covered by insurance.
In most cases, your insurance will likely authorize a second opinion consultation. However, it is always a good idea to contact your health plan beforehand so you can determine whether there will be any out-of-pocket costs. For patients who prefer to pay out of pocket, our consultation fee is $500.
- We share information with your physician if you wish.
Our physicians often share their findings and recommendations with patients’ doctors. This allows you and your doctor to discuss all your options. We can also talk with your physician by phone if needed. But we only share your information with your permission.
For more information or to schedule a second opinion consultation, call 714-456-8000.