UCI Health will see you now: Welcome to our new co-workers and patients from Fountain Valley, Lakewood, Los Alamitos and Placentia-Linda! 

Dr. Victor Joe discusses electronic cigarette hazards

May 20, 2016

IN THE NEWS: An Orange County Register article about a local man who lost an eye to an exploding e-cigarette cited UCI Health burn specialist Dr. Victor Joe about hazards related to the popular devices.

Joe, director of the UCI Health Regional Burn Center, said lithium-ion batteries can be dangerous when subjected to extreme temperatures.

Joe said the center has treated 14 e-cigarette burn victims since November. In most case, the devices became overheated and exploded in the person’s pants pocket, he said.

“We’re telling people to only use the charger that came with the device and use it correctly,” he said. “Do not let the batteries get too warm.”

Read OC Register the article ›  

UCI Health burn experts urge caution when using e-cigarettes ›

UCI Health Regional Burn Center ›