UCI Health co-workers honored for embodiment of health system values
ARIISE winners exemplify accountability, respect, integrity, innovation, service and excellence
October 24, 2023
Orange, Calif. — All colleagues at UCI Health strive to uphold the health system’s values: Accountability, Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Service and Excellence (ARIISE).
Since 1999, the ARIISE Awards have been presented to six individuals and one team or department who best exemplify these core values.
This year, 381 extraordinary colleagues were nominated for the honor. Nominees come from diverse areas of UCI Health, including nursing, environmental services, neonatal intensive care and obstetrics. They share a common desire to take care of others and make the world a better place.
The finalists and winners for 2023 are:
- Tania Pettitt
- Elena Rhoads
- Winner: Shella Soriano — clinical nurse, Medical Surgical Telemetry. Soriano was nominated for their passion for patient advocacy and "can-do" attitude.
- Mary J. Eugenio-Allen
- Dariush H. Tonkaboni
- Winner: Fayez Bany-Mohammed, MD — clinical professor, Neonatology. Bany-Mohammed was nominated for their compassion and care with the father of a young, seriously ill patient.
- Katrine Ann Bobi Bautista
- Julie E. Stefa
- Winner: Ana Novela De Nichols — senior custodian, Environmental Services. Novela De Nichols was nominated for their exceptional attention to detail when cleaning patients' rooms as well as their friendly demeanor.
- Julia Marie Afrasiabi
- Angie Labadie
- Winner: Henry Nguyen — clinical nurse, Center for Urological Care. Nguyen was nominated for their efforts to help community members access the care they need for painful kidney stones.
- Anthony Manipon
- Jishita J. Rathod
- Winner: Ali Guedi — physical therapy assistant, Rehabilitation Services. Guedi was nominated for their ability to compassionately motivate patients to reach their goals, as well as their ability to create connections nd inspire confidence.
- Fayez M. Bany-Mohammed
- Anthony Manipon
- Winner: Marco Angelo Togade — Case Manager, Center for Urological Care. Togade was nominated for going above and beyond to ensure a patient was able to receive the care they needed.
- Respiratory Care Services
- Winner: Your CARE Matters — Team Lead: Dr. Maria E. Rhoads-Baeza. The Your CARE Matters team collaborates with partners at UCI and in the community with a common goal of eradicating racial and ethnic inequalities that impact pregnancy experiences and birth outcomes, while enhancing positive experiences for all patients with focused attention on optimizing health equity for historically marginalized communities.
About UCI Health
UCI Health is the clinical enterprise of the University of California, Irvine, and the only academic health system in Orange County. Patients can access UCI Health at primary and specialty care offices across Orange County and at its main campus, UCI Medical Center in Orange, Calif. The 459-bed, acute care hospital, listed among America’s Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for 23 consecutive years, provides tertiary and quaternary care, ambulatory and specialty medical clinics, behavioral health and rehabilitation services. UCI Medical Center is home to Orange County’s only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, high-risk perinatal/neonatal program and American College of Surgeons-verified Level I adult and Level II pediatric trauma center and regional burn center. UCI Health serves a region of nearly 4 million people in Orange County, western Riverside County and southeast Los Angeles County. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.