Child Life Program
The medical environment can sometimes be frightening or stressful for pediatric patients and their families. The UCI Health Child Life Program is designed to make a youngster’s hospital experience a positive one.
If you are interested in becoming a Child Life volunteer, visit the Child Life Volunteer Program ›
Child life specialists assist pediatric patients in improving coping skills, gaining mastery over their experience, and maintaining development in the medical environment. Children are given information about the healthcare using various developmentally appropriate modalities. The child life specialist also provides opportunities for therapeutic play, which are tailored to each child’s needs and strengths in the playroom or at bedside.
There is no charge to receive Child Life services.
Our specialists provide:
- Education for patients and families about the healthcare setting, medical equipment, and diagnosis
- Emotional support
- Preparation for patients through education and therapeutic play sessions
- Pre-surgical tour, as requested and needed
- Assistance to develop positive coping skills
- Support to patients during potentially difficult procedures
- Referrals to community resources for ongoing support after discharge
- Bereavement support services for patients and their families
- Coordination with parent and school for continuity of education
- Education for patients' classmates about their illness or injury for reintegration into the classroom
Learn more about preparing your child for surgery ›
We offer a variety of services, from helping pediatric patients become less fearful of the hospital environment to providing families with grief support.
Play opportunities for pediatric patients are supported by child life volunteers.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for Child Life, visit Child Life Volunteer Program ›