Our team provides the best operative and post-operative care available for patients with a wide range of surgical problems and critical illnesses, including:
- Abdominal pain
- Gall bladder inflammation
- Intra-abdominal infections
- Major soft tissue infections
After undergoing surgery, patients may be transferred to one of our specialized intensive care units (ICU) at the medical center’s Douglas Hospital. There, they continue to receive medical attention from members of the acute care surgery team and other specialists as needed.
Our intensive care units (ICUs) include:
- Surgical ICU
- Neurosurgical ICU
Learn more about our acute care services ›
The UCI Health acute care surgical team is part of Orange County’s only verified Level I adult and Level II pediatric trauma center, a designation by the American College of Surgeons that means we are equipped to provide the highest level of surgical care by the full range of medical specialists, using the most advanced life-saving technologies 24 hours a day.
It also means we are fully prepared to treat the most complex and severe injuries and conditions around the clock, with specially trained acute care physicians and nurses. In addition:
- Our state-of-the-science intensive care units (ICUs) are designed to meet the specific needs of surgery, burn, neurology and neurosurgery patients.
- UCI Medical Center is home to the Regional Burn Center, one of the first such centers established in the nation.
- As one of the first hospitals in the to be certified as a primary stroke center, UCI Medical Center is a leader in providing emergency stroke and cerebrovascular care.
And as an academic medical center, our physicians are advancing the field of acute care medicine, including conducting studies to improve methods of treating life-threatening conditions, including shock, burns and traumatic injuries. This gives UCI Health patients the benefit of new technologies and protocols not available elswhere.
Our acute care team is led by Dr. Michael Lekawa, director of UCI Health Trauma Services and the Surgical Intensive Care Unit.
All our acute care surgeons are board-certified in general surgery and surgical critical care.
Our surgeons include: