Our UCI Health prostate cancer specialists consistently lead the way with advanced diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer. Many of them are regularly ranked as the best doctors in their field by their local and national peers.
UCI Health was the first in Southern California to offer minimally invasive, robot-assisted prostatectomy using the da Vinci Surgical System®. Our team includes the nation's leading specialists in this minimally invasive, precision procedure.
- Under program director Dr. David I. Lee, we offer robot-assisted prostatectomies on an outpatient basis for many patients.
- We are national leaders in laparoscopic surgery with the Karl Storz OR1 operating room technology.
- We were the first in the nation to use the Focal One system, which uses high-intensity focused ultrasound wave technology rather than scalpels or needles, to destroy cancer tissue while sparing the rest of the prostate gland.
- We also were among the first to adopt Artemis, a revolutionary biopsy technology that combines 3D imaging, a robotic arm and a needle-guidance system to determine the exact location of prostate cancer cells that may otherwise be missed.
As part of Orange County's only academic health system, our prostate cancer experts continue to drive innovation, to find new and better ways to diagnosis and treat this disease, which claims 34,000 lives a year.
Prostate cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer among men, after skin cancer. Of the nearly 250,000 U.S. men who are diagnosed with the disease each year, about 60% of them are age 65 or older. If this slow-growing cancer is detected before it has spread beyond the prostate, the survival rate is nearly 100%, according to the American Cancer Society.
Annual prostate screening is recommended for men beginning at age 50, with a rectal exam and a blood test for a prostate-specific antigen (PSA). High PSA levels can indicate prostate cancer or an enlarged prostate. However, some men with prostate cancer do not have elevated PSA levels.
That is why it is important to get regular prostate screenings as part of your annual physical. If tests show elevated PSA readings, consult your physician.
We offer the following services and treatments at the UCI Health Comprehensive Prostate Cancer Program:
- Prostate screening and PSA testing
- Robot-assisted radical prostatectomy ›
- Body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- Chemotherapy, biological and immune system therapies
- Cryoablation (freezing) of prostate cancers
- Volumetric RapidArc® radiotherapy
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Clinical trials
- Second opinions
Learn the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer ›
View an informational video about prostate cancer ›
Our multidisciplinary team of specialists includes urologists, urologic cancer surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and other healthcare experts who work together to provide you with personalized care.
Our core clinical team includes:
To schedule an appointment, please call 714-456-7005.