Care at Affiliated Organizations
At UCI Health, we want you to be fully informed about your healthcare options.
UCI Health has affiliations with other healthcare organizations to help patients in many communities access high-quality care. However, some of these organizations have policies that are different from those of UCI Health. For example, some restrict certain diagnostic or treatment services, such as elective abortions and end-of-life care.
UCI Health has identified the following affiliates to have policy-based restrictions on care related to abortion, assisted reproductive technologies, contraception, end-of-life care, gender-affirming care and sterilization:
- Providence - St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, Calif.
- Providence - St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton, Calif.
- Providence - Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo, Calif.
- Providence - Mission Surgery Center in Mission Viejo, Calif.
- Loma Linda University Health
- Certain government-operated facilities
This list is not exhaustive and may change over time based on the specific policies of these organizations.
UCI Health is committed to delivering comprehensive medical care that meets patients' needs and promotes health equity. Accordingly, our agreements with these organizations make it clear that UCI Health staff members, faculty and trainees working at one of these facilities will have the ability and right to:
- Make clinical decisions consistent with the standard of care and their independent professional judgment, respecting each individual patient’s needs and wishes.
- Inform patients of all their healthcare options, prescribe any interventions that are medically necessary and appropriate, and transfer or refer patients to other facilities when they determine it is in the patient’s interest.
- Provide any item or service they deem necessary and appropriate in the event of an emergency.
You will be informed if a UCI Health provider refers you to an organization with service-restricting policies. We encourage you to ask that organization about the restrictions, which may include services such as abortion, assisted reproductive technologies, contraception, end-of-life care, gender-affirming care and sterilization. You may seek alternatives for care at UCI Health and elsewhere.
If you have any concerns about the treatment you received at any of the above affiliates, please contact UCI Health Director of Patient Experience Brad Giafaglione at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following UCI Health programs offer comprehensive services:
UCI Health Women's Options Center ›
Contact: Alicia (Martha) Alvarez, email@example.com
UCI Health Gender Diversity Program ›
UCI Health Hospice and Palliative Care Program ›
For more information, see the full text of the UC Regents’ Policy on Affiliations With Healthcare Organizations That Have Adopted Policy-Based Restrictions on Care and UC Interim Policy on Affiliations with Certain Healthcare Organizations