Irvine Clinical Experience
Applications will open Sept. 25 - Oct. 8
You must have a social security number. International students are not eligible to apply unless they have a social security number.
Please view the flier for application instructions.
The UC Irvine Clinical Experience (I.C.E.) is designed to provide current pre-med UCI undergraduate students the opportunity to gain a wide range of shadowing experience.
Accepted students are paired with healthcare professionals and will rotate to a new physician quarterly.
The Irvine Clinical Experience is highly competitive. There are very limited positions available for applicants. Applications open every Fall and Spring quarter.
After a primary review of submitted applications, select students will be invited for an interview.
For more information, please email the lead coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more by viewing our flier ›
Participants are able to shadow several departments:
- Colorectal Surgery
- Emergency Medicine
- Neurocritical Care
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma Surgery
- Urologic Surgery
Irvine Clinical Experience is a three-quarter, 100-hour commitment.
Students are expected to commit to a minimum of three four-hour long shifts per month, all of which must be completed on weekdays during regular business hours.
Time and place of shadowing shifts depends on physicians’ schedules. Students are also expected to submit written monthly shadowing summaries to their coordinators, requiring 200 words per shadowing shift.
- Students must be at least 18 years of age
- Students must be currently enrolled at UCI as a full-time undergraduate student (minimum of 12 units)
- Students must have completed at least two quarters
- Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Completion of HIPAA paperwork
- Health clearance (TB and immunizations)
- Two-hour orientation
- I.C.E. button-up shirt ($25 purchase required)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Deep respect and understanding of the privilege of shadowing
No, you do not need to be a current volunteer at the UCI Medical Center.